Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Scare Tactics

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/21/wmd.threat/index.html

I was on CNN.com today reading an article about WMD's. Now the prevailing thery is thay within 10 years, someone is going to use a WMD somewhere in the world. My first thought was, "Well duh!" In this nuclear age, I'm sure some overlord is going to pop off a megamissle to kill the masses. But these reports are becomming a little rediculous. It's almost like Nostradomus in the tabloids. The world was supposed to come to an end every year now since the 70's. Eventually Nostro has to be correct. Now, I guess the powers that be are saying within 10 years something will happen. That's a pretty large window of time to say "I told you so."

But on a different note, I'm not sure what all these reports are accomplishing. Is it just to keep WMD's in the forefront of everyones mind. A report yesterday said the US knew where Ossama was, but won't go get him until the terrorist regime is further weakened. Now is there a reason for telling us this? I don't think so. I don't want to know that we know where he is and are going to play with him until we feel like taking him out. I think what these reports are doing is putting the thoughts of WMD's and terrorists in the back of our minds furthereing our fears of the future and each other. We now wonder and wait until the ball drops. I don't understand the value of these reports. Unless we pull a Noah and build a gigantic fireproof arc, I'm going to try to live my life not worrying about the fateful day.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Underdog said...

Very Happy ET,

I saw that story on CNN at the gym today. I wondered the same thing. It's not like Oprah is never going to Paris again. Isn't there anything else to report. I think stories are reported just so they can justify haveing 24 hour news channels.

11:25 AM  
Blogger The Underdog said...

I hope the Oprahites aren't reading this...sorry ET. I agree that Oprah's show has changed quite a bit. She used to have shows about hard hitting topics. Spousal abuse, disease, etc. And of course shows with stars like Denzel, Will Smith, Tom Cruise, etc. Now it seems more focused on dieting, Hollywood, and what she can give away. She still has a few good topics like men on the downlow and other stuff, but it's not as much as before.

But i got to thinking. Oprah's show probably begot the crazy talk shows we have now. Back in the day, Oprah used to have all kinds of folks crying on her show. Then folks like Geraldo took it to that next level of having fights (anyone remember the clan fight when he got his nose broken?). Later came the Ricky Lakes, Jenny Jones and everyone's favorite talkshow host Jerry Springer (talk about rushing home to see a show). They are all spinoffs of the legend Oprah created. Of course they're no where near her orbit and won't ever be close. I'm like Dave Chapelle, Oprah could lock me down.

Lauren, I agree that the survey Lugar put out had good intentions. The media picked up on a few things and went with it...like normal. Can't always trust what they say.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home