Sunday, June 19, 2005

Is Blonde Better?

Here's my question for the moment. I'm looking for insights and understanding so please comment freely.

I have been watching TV lately and something reminded me of a question i had been wanting to ask. It was actually Lindsey Lohan (or however you spell her name). Now I think Lindsey Lohan is a truly beautiful young lady. She seems to have been blessed with a natural beauty (of course i've never seen her without makeup). Recently i've seen she's changed her hair color to blonde. Personally i think it looks hideous now. So here's my Q:

Why do people seem to gravitate to blonde?

It hasn't just been Lindsey, but Jessica Alba too. And i think it looks hideous on her too. So what's the deal with blonde? In Hollywood, is it the best way to become famous? Do males tend the gravitate to blonde girls. It seems the market is over saturated with blonde haired women, especially white blonde females. Do we as males like blondes because it's what has been thrown in our face for all our lives? I have to admit, i'm attracted to blonde girls as well, but the simple fact that i'm writing this i think means i am breaking away from that. I actually prefer red heads to blondes. Plus i don't think every blonde looks good, nor do i believe everyone looks good in blonde (ala Linsey and Jessica).

Is there something wrong with using what you were born with? Why do people constantly strive to turn themselves into something they're not? Since you weren't born blond doesn't mean you should dump a bottle of peroxide in your hair making it white. Because your skin does not have a natural hue doesn't mean you should bake it in tanning beds and under the sun for hours (which over the years makes people look rather leathery). On the otherhand, if your hair aint long, no need to put flourescent pink/orange/blonde/yarn/etc. strands in it that reach down to your ankles.

Now i'm not against change. Change is good. People can do what they please. But why do we constantly strive to be someone different (myself included)? And whatever happened to subtlety?

Speak you mind people!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that people are attracted to Blonde for a few reasons, but I've got to believe that the most raw reason is that blonde hair and blue eyes are double recessive genes, and therefore, very rare. People want things that are rare. Rare jewels, rare aritfacts, rare food/delicacies. Things that are less common are more coveted. I would venture to say it's the same reason that you are attracted to real red hair. It's rare, and beautiful because you don't see it all the time. Same thing with people with really light eyes. Rare, intriguing, and therefore very cool.

The other reason is that we, as American's, have been taught to believe that we are not good enough as we are. We'll be completely happy if we are a little taller, thinner, blonder, darker, lighter, more cut, more lithe, more anything that we aren't already. Going against that social current is an incredible hard thing to do, and most people just dont do it. Hippies were about the only social group that did it well and true to their own beliefs. All the rest of us give in. Everything we have, everything we do, it not good enough. It's pretty clearly illustrated by the umber of makeover-fix-it-counseling-change-
your-house-clean-your-basement-
while-you-are-getting-your-hair-dyed television shows out there now. Every part of multimedia says that what we have is not good enough and we should change it as fast as we can so that we will be more happy.

How do we come to a place where we are happy with our lives and live au natural? Good question. I'm not sure I have an answer. I always feel better after I have had my hair highlighted, so I'm not sure that I'm the person to ask.

9:26 AM  
Blogger The Underdog said...

Not so much into the skinny waif looking girls, but obviously Headliner's head is in one of several gutters.

I guess i go through phases where i'm cool with myself at times and then I want to look like the Rock. I agree that it's all about believing in yourself and your inner strength. It's hard when you're constantly bombarded with images of musclebound guys or when you're in a club/bar/wherever and you see the type of guys girls go for. Nice guys don't finish last, but they're not far from it.

But that's just me playing my violin.

8:19 PM  
Blogger The Underdog said...

Yeah, i think your right. I've been noticed for being a nice guy. But people don't really come out and tell you that. Just doesn't come up in the flow of the convo. But i think being who i am will get me to where i want to be in the end. Just have to have patience. You know what they say...,it's a virtue. But until then, you can find me at BALCO chillin with Barry and Jason. Maybe Marion Jones will dump Tim Montgomery.

9:12 PM  
Blogger The Underdog said...

So when did we all become so messed up? What happend to the world? Has television gotten into our minds? I guess this has always been the case, but now that we are as free socially as we are, people aren't afraid to take risks anymore. Risks of the past have become norms of today. I guess it is what it is through and through.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home