Thursday, June 23, 2005

Justice Served?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/23/mississippi.killings/

I'm trying to figure out how i feel about sentencing an 8 year old man to a possible 60 years in prison. I'm trying to figure out why we prosecute these old cases when it generally doesn't matter anymore. Basically, i'm looking for someone to give me an argument why it matters. I have several in my head, but i'll play the devil for a minute and say it doesn't.

What he did was a heanous (sp?) crime. And we know he probably did it, but what's the use of putting this 80 year old man in prison. I mean, look at him. He's probably going to die soon anyway. To me it's a waste of taxpayer money to put him in jail. Not only did he commit hate crimes in the past, but now I (the people of MS) have to pay for him to rot in prison.

I believe that at this point, there should be a method of restitution as opposed to incarceration. Make him give up whatever money he has left. Of course then he'll probably file for welfare. There should be an alternate system to where taxpayers don't have to pay for this man to get sick, be given medication and die in prison. He'll probably get better treatment in prison.

I don't know how i feel about getting yuor man for the sake of getting your man. Could justice have been served without putting this geaser in jail? I think so. Maybe we could put him in the front row on 50 Cent's US tour or something. For him, that would probably be the ultimate punishment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home