Monday, May 01, 2006

"A Day Without a Mexican"

It was several months ago when I rented this movie from Blockbuster. It cronicled what would happen if all Mexicans disapeared from the face of the earth. Nothing got done. Crops died, restaurants closed. It was madness. It was a really good movie for looking like it was done on a shoestring budget. It's funny how sometimes art imitates life, then life imitates art.

So far the Day without an Immigrant seems to be going smoothly. For their sake I hope it continues that way. I have mixed feelings on the illegal immigrant situation. On the one hand, I believe all of our workers should be treated and paid with respect. They should have some benefits and be paid at least minimum wage. Many illegals are already here and we're already taking care of them so why don't we include them. Have them pay taxes and have rights just like most other Americans. On the other hand, they did cross into the country illegally. We do have rules. Granting them "immunity" or giving them the same treatment I think is sort of a slap in the face to those who have gotten in or or trying to get into this country legally. From what I hear, it's a long process and know some people who are going through it. Also, what will adding millions of people to the tax roles really do to the economy and what the government can provide. The extra tax money would help, but would the demand for services outweigh the increase in taxes?

To be frank I don't know what to do. I normally fall on the side of human rights. I believe they should be treated like normal people. But they did enter illegally. That's not fair. Illegal immigrants do a lot for this country. Much like the slaves back in the day provided free labor allowing businessmen to keep profits, the illegals provide cheap labor keeping costs to the consumer down and allows businessmen to keep profits; Hmmm, I wonder what group is opposed to this? I guess this would be a modern day, voluntary slavery with wages. That doesn't even sound right.

On the surface it seems easy to lean one way or the other on the issue. Either let em in and give them comparible wages or keep them out until they can get in legally. But there is so much more to that. I wish I had an answer. Either way, each choice comes with consequences.

2 Comments:

Blogger headliner said...

I'm just speculating but from my observations illegal immigrants are doing a good portion of the rebuilding work in new orleans now.

8:52 AM  
Blogger The Underdog said...

That would be speculation, but I think you're right. And that's where the problem comes in. I'm glad they're around to rebuild the city, but what about those that don't have jobs. What are they doing? But it's not the illegals fault and I can't blame them for making money.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home